4.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Date formats are inconsistent across different chart types

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I've noticed that different chart types have different default date formats. For example, in the image below the bar chart is formatting dates as "Feb 1, 2017", but the Area chart is formatting dates as "Feb 1":

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 3.47.30 PM.png

Both charts use the same data source, and the data type for this field is "Date (YYYYMMDD)".

Any ideas as to why two different formats appear? Or how this can be fixed?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Drew,

What is the data source for those charts?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Rick E, those two charts are using a "Custom Query" data source, from BigQuery.

-Drew

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any updates about this? The way dates are displayed is indeed very inconsistent throughout data studio and there seems to be no way to control this...

In the example below, obviously the chart on the bottom has the most clean date formatting. I'd like to see it this way in the chart at the top as well.

image.pngTwo different charts with the same date dimension (week of year) displaying the dates differently

Of course, I understand the difference between the charts. The top one has data bars, so for this it makes sense to display the dates as is. However, it also has lines for which it doesn't make sense. In any case, I prefer the most compact/clean formatting, consistent through all charts. I don't mind if this doesn't always make complete sense with the data presented. The benefits of having a more clear dashboard outweigh this imo.