AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Date Range Filter not working, even after formatting underlying data into YYYYMMDD and remapping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have tried numerous times - all unsuccessfully - to incorporate a Date Range filter into my Report.

My data is in Google Sheets, and I have formatted it as a Date/Number using the YYYY-MM-DD convention as previous commenters have suggested. (I don't see an option for YYYYMMDD without the hyphens in my version of Sheets.)

I have also formatted the data as a String using the YYYYMMDD - i.e. getting rid of the hyphens to see if that would work. 

Each time I've done this, I go back into my Data Source, re-map the "Date" field as a YYYYMMDD Date, then refresh the data in my Report.

Yet no matter what I've done, the Date Range filter continues to show the entire data set for each of my metrics, rather than a date-restricted data set. 

Lastly, after reformatting all of my dates in the underlying Sheet and re-mapping the fields to my Data Source, I've tried removing the Date Range widget from my Report and replacing it with a new one. Still, the Date Range widget doesn't do any date-restricting.

Any thoughts of what I may be doing wrong?

Date Range Filter not working, even after formatting underlying data into YYYYMMDD and remapping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Sadly enough, I've got no answer to provide, but I'd very much like to get an answer to that. Somehow, that's linked to a previous post of mine Smiley Tongue At least I can imagine a solution for one of us could work for both.
See here for reference : https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Filter-on-day-of-week/td-p/1116570

Good luck !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had the same issue. The fix for me was renaming the title of the column with the dates in Google Sheets to 'Date'. I had a different name for it originally. Very simple fix that took me ages to figure out, could be worth double checking that for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for the tip. I went back and looked and my date field has been named 'Date' the whole time I've been trying to use the filter. I'll keep trying by building another spreadsheet with dummy data. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Finally figured out the solution. It's not particularly elegant, but it worked. 

I had to create a new Google Sheet, copy a couple lines of data from my old sheet (just as an initial test), format the date column as YYYY-MM-DD (and name it "Date" with no quote marks), then create a new Data Studio Report by using this new Google Sheet as the Data Source. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chad,

I had the same problem and just figured out why it happened.

When I selected the Sheet range for Data source, I just typed in, for example, "A : D". If column A is Date and it has data until row 10 and column B is something else, e.g. Name, and it has data until column 20, Google Data Studio will understand that we want data from A1 to D20. The problem is that from A11 to A20 they are all blank, which makes Google Data Studio consider it as Text instead of Date. And even after I manually changed it from Text to Date successfully, it still cannot be used in the date range filter.

So my solution was to clean the data from B11 to B20 and it works Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I seem to be having this exact issue where any columns of date data with blank values means I'm not able to filter by date. 

When you say you cleaned up the data, what exactly did you do?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You're right about the date to measure against needing to be in format YYYY-MM-DD. The filter still works with the filtered column in any date format I want.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Works for me. Thanks!