AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4K members online now
4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data studio time zone

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm using Google Analytics as a Data Source in Data Studio.  In GA when I go to Admin ->Account -> Property -> View (used as the Data Source) I see the Time zone country or territory setting is set to United States (GMT-07:00) Pacific Time

In Data Studio, the Date Field in my Data Source shows no mention of Time Zone.  It is currently showing, under the Type column, "Date(YYMMDD).

I've also seen: 

"Data Studio assumes all datetime data is in UTC standard time. If that is not the case for your data set, you may see discrepancies when charting data for the current day (due to differences between UTC and your timezone). You can convert a datetime filed to UTC using the TODATE function."

Does this mean that, for any given date, the data is reported using UTC Standard time rather than the (GMT -07:00) PACIFIC TIME?

If this is the case, how can I get Data Studio to report data based on Time Zone=(GMT -07:00) PACIFIC TIME?

Thanks,

Ken

I When I use a Time Series chart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kenneth B
May 2017

Data studio time zone

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just ran equivalent reports in GA and in DS to see if there are Time Zone differences which may result in different data between the two tools.

The GA data is based on:

Time zone country or territory:  United States   (GMT-07:00) Pacific Time

Both tools are reporting the same data; apparently since the GA data is based on Pacific time, when that GA data is used in Data Studio no Time Zone conversion (to UTC UTC standard time) takes place.

I have not tested what happens if the Data Studio Data Source uses a Connector other than Google Analytics. 

Thanks,

Ken

View solution in original post

Data studio time zone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same question here...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kenneth B
May 2017

Data studio time zone

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just ran equivalent reports in GA and in DS to see if there are Time Zone differences which may result in different data between the two tools.

The GA data is based on:

Time zone country or territory:  United States   (GMT-07:00) Pacific Time

Both tools are reporting the same data; apparently since the GA data is based on Pacific time, when that GA data is used in Data Studio no Time Zone conversion (to UTC UTC standard time) takes place.

I have not tested what happens if the Data Studio Data Source uses a Connector other than Google Analytics. 

Thanks,

Ken