1.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data studio multidimensional bar charts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a limit in terms of number of rows of data that are processed when creating multidimensional bar charts? I came across a situation where the stacked/multidimensional bar chart cuts part of the data either in the beginning or end of the time series period. My data is an analytics export to Google sheets and has 4 columns: date, page and device, the 4th column is the metric. Given that the second page name was only introduced at the last few days of the period somehow Data Studio does not find the second page data. If I swap the time series around to start with the latest date somehow it does find the data... Did anyone experience something similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Helena K
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think there is a limit because I have created charts that use data tables with millions of rows of data.  It sounds like you may be experiencing some sort of formatting issue related to how the data is sorted, or related to the date range.  A couple things are not too clear tho, like what do you mean by "the second page name," what is the metric you are using, and are you using a date filter?  If you posted a screenshot of your chart and it's settings, I could probably help you pinpoint the issue.

I would also recommend checking that the date column is being recognized as a "date" in Date Studio, especially if you are using a date range filter.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Helena K
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think there is a limit because I have created charts that use data tables with millions of rows of data.  It sounds like you may be experiencing some sort of formatting issue related to how the data is sorted, or related to the date range.  A couple things are not too clear tho, like what do you mean by "the second page name," what is the metric you are using, and are you using a date filter?  If you posted a screenshot of your chart and it's settings, I could probably help you pinpoint the issue.

I would also recommend checking that the date column is being recognized as a "date" in Date Studio, especially if you are using a date range filter.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks so much for your answer. Everything was formatted correctly but I have now edited and refreshed the connection then removed all metrics and added them back in and this seems to have done the job. I think you need to add metrics in a certain order e.g. date first, then the other dimensions e.g. page otherwise it does not work. When I first created the chart I think I have added the date after adding the breakdown metrics! 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Good to know! I was not aware of that.