AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data studio is the most frustrating tool in the world

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to display a time series chart with the months in name format from Google Sheets... January, February, March, April, May etc. 

Why on earth is this so difficult... time series charts are blank, bar charts order the words in Alphabetical from April

I am seeing a common theme that people are struggling to use months as a time dimension, yet no one has answered, fixed, responded etc.

I've tried for almost a whole day with every combination of month, date, year, MMDDYYYY, YYYYMMDD, MM... I've tried everything!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Martin,

Do you mean like this? (showing the x-axis only)

If so it's possible yes by using a bar chart and applying "Month of Year" as a dimension. Then add your metrics, sort by "Month of Year" ascending, and fix the date range if needed.

Chris

Re: Data studio is the most frustrating tool in the world

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Make sure your google sheet is in YYYYMMDD format. Then, in the edit dataset menu, make sure that it's set as a YYYYMMDD format in Data Studio (for some reason it doesn't always read it as that). Then, you'll need to create a new dimension called month that equals month(date) (you can do the same thing with year if you want year over year lines in your chart). 

In your properties, make sure that the date is listed as your date range dimension:

date range dimension.JPG 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

By adding a new chart, it will be automatically sorted by it's first dimension. You can change these settings as you wish.