AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data studio custom dimension - not all metrics work

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

for my analytics reportings I have created an additional channel grouping as a custom dimension in data studio. When I use it to show the number of session it works just fine, so I belief there is no problem with the definition of the variable. But if I want to use it to display ecommerce metrics like number of transactions or total revenue no values are shown for the metric. Are there any restrictions for the metrics I can use with a custom dimension? 

Thank you for any suggestion how I can solve the issue!

Greetings,

Martin

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Martin,

The number of transactions, revenue or any raw metrics should work fine.

Only imported calculated metrics like cost per transactions and conversion rate won't work when using the channel grouping.

You need to create new metrics (calculated fields) and recalculate any ratiometric like (ROI, Conversion Rate...etc) in order to be able to apply any custom dimension to metrics you would love to see in your report.

Feel free to share your formula so we can troubleshoot further.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ahmed Ali,

thanks for your reply. But the problem actually is that only some raw metrics work fine (like number of sessions) and some don't (like number of transactions, revenue etc.). That's what leaves me puzzeled, because I would think either they all work or they don't. The formular looks like this (I just edited out some company specifics) and is not yet optimized, but I don't believe thats the problem:

CASE
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Paid Search" AND REGEXP_MATCH(Kampagne, ".*(shopping|Shopping).*") THEN "Google Shopping"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Paid Search" AND Suche mit Marke = "Marke" THEN "Paid Search Marke"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Paid Search" AND Quelle/Medium = "facebook / cpc" THEN "Paid Social"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Paid Search" THEN "Paid Search Allgemein"
WHEN Medium = "xxxxx" THEN "yyyyy"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Direct" THEN "direkt"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Organic Search" THEN "organische Suche"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Social" THEN "Social"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Email" THEN "eMail"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Affiliates" THEN "Affiliate"
WHEN Quelle = "abc.def.com" THEN "Affiliate"
WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Zielseite, ".*(partner=def).*") THEN "Affiliate"
WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Quelle, ".*(affili).*") THEN "Affiliate"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Display" THEN "Display"
WHEN Standard-Channelgruppierung = "Referral" THEN "Referral"