AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data resources issues - Copy vs Original file

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good morning, 

does anybody else recently face this issue? I have created a generic MCC Adwords report that I am using as a template. I always create a new a copy of this report and change the data source (more than 500 accounts). Untill now everything was working just perfect.

But recently while changing the data source (switching between different Adwords accounts) the data are changing in copy and also in the original file, which is not demanded effect. Also when you create a copy in GDS it is not named "Copy of...". 

Does anybody know how to fix this? Would be really appreciated. 

Thanks a lot guys

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Ondrej,

Can you please clarify what you mean by "the data are changing in copy and also in the original file?"

The issue with the new report not having "Copy of..." is a bug. We should have that fixed soon.

Best regards,

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

thanks for answer! 

Sure - imagine I have an Adwords report of one of our clients, I want to create a copy of this report with exactly the same format, metrics, etc. I just want to change the data (numbers). So I create a copy of this report and change the data source to other account from our Adwords MCC (other client). The problem is that GDS changes both files (data sources). That means in both reports - the original one and the copy one I have data source of the copy one (new client). 

Before it was very easy and working reliably. I found a solution now - I need to also create a copy of data source and use it for the new copy report. Which is a bit annoying, but I believe that with your last update and this new feature (possibility of creating a copy of data sources) from 16th June this started to happen. 

I hope it is clear, thanks a lot!

Re: Data resources issues - Copy vs Original file

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Orej

Just to be clear, is this what you are seeing?

1) You've got 2 data sources: MCC 1, and MCC 2 (for example)

2) You have Report 1, using MCC 1.

3) You make a copy of Report 1. In the dialog that pops up, you choose MCC 2.

2017-07-10_09-48-31.png

4) You now have Report 2, using MCC 2. 

Does Report 1 now also use MCC 2??

(I did a simple test with Google Sheets and cannot reproduce that case).

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Rick, 

exactly. The only thing is that I have one MCC but many accounts - e.g. Adwords 1, Adwords, 2, Adwords 3 as data sources. So as you mentioned, when I choose Adwords 2 for Report 2 (copy) it also changes the data source of Report 1 (original) to Adwords 2 instead of keeping Adwords 1. 

Thank you

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Ondrej,

Can you give me a step by step description of what you are doing? (A screen capture video would be great, if you can do that, or just write down each step or click). Specifically, can you tell me how you are choosing "Adwords 2"?