Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data from Current Month and Last Year

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying  to pull the google Analytics data into google data studio.

So, what i want to do is to pull the Unique Visits and VDP Views for the Current Month vs. Last Year data. For example current visits should be of May 2017 and i want to compare this data to May2016.

Is there a way i can pull data this way into google data studio showing trends upwards or downwards?

Thanks

Jyoti

Re: Data from Current Month and Last Year

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If I'm understanding the request correctly you could use 2 date dimensions in a chart: Month of Year and Year.  This will put the individual month from each year next to each other and color coded by year.

See screen shot attached.

2017-06-06_1119.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You can also create a scorecard and in the default date range section, next to the arrows facing both ways (it should default to saying "none"), choose previous year from the drop down. This will give you a variance arrow in the scorecard.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Mike and Litmon!! 

Litmon can you attach any screen shot so i can understand it better.

Thank you for your help!!

Re: Data from Current Month and Last Year

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hopefully this works, for some reason I'm having trouble with images today...

Date range.PNGPrevious year.PNG

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Since the images aren't loading today, let me try to describe it:

In the Table properties menu when you click on a chart, the options (from top down) are:

1. choose the chart type

2. choose the data source and date range dimension

3. choose the dimension (and breakdown dimension if desired)

4. choose the metric(s)

5. breakdown dimension sort (for some chart types)

6. default date range

a. first option is auto or custom. If you have a filter on your page, you likely want auto, but if you just want to restrict it to one specific month always, click custom and choose the date range

b. two arrows pointing horizontally at each other with the word "none" to the right of them. There's an arrow off to the right. Click on that arrow and it gives you the "previous year" option. If this option isn't there, then you likely don't have you date range dimension set up in the data source section.