5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data collecting and sharing in-app possible?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have a mobile game in GameMaker that I want to add some data analysis to, but an integral part of this is to display the data that I collect in game.  The data is to be collected from all devices playing the game worldwide, then displayed within the game itself.  Is this something that can be done with Data Studio or Analytics?  More info below:

I have finished my main adventure game which currently has 15 rooms, each containing a level of the game. The game is completed on being successful in the 15th room / level. I would like to record and display data for the following:

1. Display the number of times the game has been attempted within each room. This could be measured by seeing how many times room0 has been loaded.
2. Display the number of times each room has been reached within that room. Again perhaps measured by the amount of times each room has been loaded. So room5 would show the number of times that room5 has been reached.
3. Display the percentage of attempts at the game that reach each room within that room. Perhaps doable by dividing the number of times each individual room has been loaded by the amount of times room0 has been loaded. Example if room0 was loaded 100 times and from those 100 attempts room5 was loaded 20 times, this would give a 20% rate of reaching room5.

So from this each room / level would show the number of times the game has been tried, the amount of times that level has been reached and what the percentage of games reached that particular room. Taking room5 as an example if 100 game had been played and 40 of those games reached room5, then there would be something displayed in room5 that shows 100 games played, of which 40 reached this room which is 40% of the total games. I hope that this make sense.

As stated above, I would like these analytics / data to be displayed within the room itself (total games played, total times that room has been reached, % of that room being reached) and perhaps a further page / room that lists the attempts & percentages for each room. For example:

Total games played 200
Level 1 reached 200 (100%)
Level 2 reached 150 (75%)
Level 3 reached 110 (55%)
Level 4 reached 80 (40%)
etc
etc

I am happy to use any utilities such as Game Analytics, Firebase, Google Analytics etc. I do not have a server or anything similar to track the analytics / data so that is why I would prefer a 3rd party to handle the load and data if this is possible? I have a web domain with decent space, so would I even need to use a 3rd party extension?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Charles,

Are you wanting to use Data Studio to display your analytics data? You can get Google Analytics and Firebase (via BigQuery) into Data Studio very easily. But the only way to display the Data Studio reports in your game is via embedding using an iframe. 

There's probably a more direct way to get what you want using Firebase, but that's outside my area of expertise.

Best regards,

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply,

I am searching for any way possible to display the data in-game.  I have come to a brick wall in this regard!

I am willing to look at any solutions that will allow real time data to be displayed within the game.