2.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio undefined error with report controls from external datasource

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I made a report when it was still in Beta and the MySQL datasource still shows a good connection and the fields are there but now any filter controls or report widgets show this undefined error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

with some random error ID with each box.

Thoughts?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you provide screenshots? 

I've had this problem several times and it always turned out to be something to do with my filters or the way that I'd organized my CASE WHEN hierarchies.

Re: Data Studio undefined error with report controls from external datasource

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lindsey, thanks for checking.  I don't see anything wrong with the sql, this one used to work as it is, the database hasn't changed since, it is a simple SQL view joining several tables, nothing complicated SQL wise.  Here are a couple of screen shots of the errors I am seeing.

data_studio-error-1.jpgerror messagedata_studio-error-2.jpgmysql connection shows OK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I figured out the problem, Google must have changed the IP addresses in the documentation here https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7088031?hl=en because when I opened up the MySQL port to all IPs the datasource was able to be refreshed and the report started working again.    

Anyone know the most accurate list of IPs to whitelist for this project?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mark,

Aren't the ip address you need to whitelist the ones on the bottom of the page in the link you posted ?

64.18.0.0/20

64.233.160.0/19

66.102.0.0/20

66.249.80.0/20

72.14.192.0/18

74.125.0.0/16

108.177.8.0/21

173.194.0.0/16

207.126.144.0/20

209.85.128.0/17

216.58.192.0/19

216.239.32.0/19

I'm using CLoudSQL, I added these ips to my 'authorised networks' and can connect to my databases fine with no problems. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

According to this support article https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/7020436?hl=en&ref_topic=6370347, since August 2017, with the new Cloud SQL connector there's no need to whitelist the IPs anymore.

However, even after whitelisting these IP addresses, I still can't connect to my Cloud SQL instance from Datastudio. The error I'm getting is "The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request." with an error id.

Any ideas?