AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio sort stacked bars

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, is there a way to sort a stacked bar's metrics?

In it's current state, it positions the 0 metric in the middle, instead of sorting from 0, then, 33, 66, 99 as the stack goes higher.

Capture.PNG

Appreciate any inputs.

Thank you!

Clarence

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Same issue here. I'm afraid that it defaults to sorting based on counts. The bars with highest count will be first, then it stacks the 2nd largest item.

Smiley Sad

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You can tell it to sort alphabetically by the dimension name, or in ascending/descending order of the metric value. This option is in the data tab right underneath the metric selection (called "sort").

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is for sorting the whole bars itself according to the dimension along the X-axis or according to the metric (high to low vv).

We would like to sort the series inside the stacked bar itself. Currently this is sorted as overall largest value is the first bar, then 2nd largest is the next bar on top of that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue with unstacked bars. It doesn't allow you to sort by the "secondary" dimension. 

For instance: My primary dimension is a list of products and my secondary dimension is years (2014, 2015, 2016). The metric is quantity sold.

The only sorting options are "Quantity" and "Products". I cannot sort the bars to display in order of year as it defaults to highest - lowest year.. 

This is immensely frustrating.