Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio reading metric as dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am trying to create a report pulling data from a Google Sheet. One of the columns in this sheet is a metric- calculating the CPA of ad sources. When I connected that sheet to DS, however, it reads as a dimension, and will not let me select CPA as a metric for a graph. Is there any way to change how DS sees that from a dimension to a metric?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean P
November 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Sean --

Sounds like you'll need to change that field's Field Type. You can do that by selecting a chart or table and then clicking on the "Edit data source" pencil. You can find a little more info on this in the Dimensions and metrics Help Center article.

Hope that helps.

Alon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you just need to find the column in the data source settings and then change the aggregation from "none" to "average."

However, I would not recommend calculating the CPA in this way because you effectively end up with an average of the daily averages. A more accurate method would be to create a new, custom metric in Data Studio using cost / conversions. This will ensure that your averages are always calculating correctly whether you are using tables or charts or whatever.