1.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio - % of Total Sessions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would like to create a metric that compares a session count for a particular dimension to the total number of sessions.  For instance if I were to calculate the % of total sessions for marketing mediums.  Tableau has a function called "TOTAL()".  You can use that to calculate the grand total and include that in a calculation.  If I were using it in a calculation, it would be SUM(Sessions) / TOTAL(SUM(Sesssions)). 

Does Data Studio have a function like this or a workaround?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can visually create the same effect by changing the format of a series from number to bar in the table's Style menu. You can also check the "Show number" box if you want to show the actual value next to the bar for % of total. 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would like to have the actual values in a line graph or table.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Eric,

There is no function like this yet. We're looking into implementing this in 2017.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What I had to do was create a google spreadsheet that calculated the % of total sessions, and then used this spreadsheet as my data source. The only downside is that this is a very manual and static workaround. You will have to update your spreadsheet to fit your particular date range and dimension.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dave, 

Do you have any news on that function/feature? It would be great if we could be able to create the % metric that could be used as a score card as well...

Going through Google Sheet manipulations first if not ideal.

Many thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave

I echo the rest of the comments in this thread, is there an update you can share on when this feature will be ready? I am very excited about being able to use this in data studio.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We seem to be nearing the end of 2017,  is this available and I can not find it? Or is this still in the works. If I am going to be using this as a go to, I would need this to be available. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave,

this function would be really appreciated. Do you have any updates?

Thank you

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆