1.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio not recognizing date format

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there. I am setting up a Data Studio report based on a rather simple Google Sheet. The challenge is when I add the date column as a dimension, studio gives the following error: 

error.PNG

This is even though, my underlying sheet actually is setup as YYYYMMDD: 

date.PNG

Any ideas for what I am doing wrong?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If a column has format YYYYMMDD in Sheets, Data Studio may think it is a number or text column when you add the data source, but you may be able to force Data Studio to recognize it as a Date by format from text (or number) to Date YYYYMMDD. Even if Data Studio says it does not recognize the format, sometimes it does.

If this does not work, try using a default date format in Sheets, like YYYY-MM-DD instead. 

Always make sure to manually refresh your data source in Data Studio after making these kinds of changes too. If you forget to refresh, it may look like a change you made had no effect when it actually worked. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

In my experience, there is a lot of issues with the Date formats. For your particular issue, attempt to get the date into "yyyy-mm-dd" instead, that works for me.

Overall, the lack of full Date format support is a significant issue which can easily drive you mad and destroy your day...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lasse,

I had the same issue with dates and received that same error message - however when clicking 'continue' Data Studio did read the date correctly without issues.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is back in one of my pages....

Error Details

There`s a query error.

Argument type mismatch in function EQUAL: 'Report_Day' is type int32, '2017-03-09' is type string

Error ID: 9aa2a526

Any Work Arounds?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have three date columns in Sheets. Data Studio correctly detects dates in two of them but not the third. When I get the "You are setting Actual Close Date as a Date (YYYYMMDD), but we couldn't recognize its format.", I accept the warning but it breaks the display.

Re: Data Studio not recognizing date format

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Everything is very simple

Screencapture 2017-07-25 в 13.26.04.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks. Saved my day.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been having very significant issues with a dashboard that's not correctly reading a sold date.  My problem is this is an auto-refreshing spreadsheet with a format that's set as mm/dd/yyyy, so I need a way to update this so it can be read, even though it's imported from scratch as a date and it's accepted as a date.  It's just not honoring it, very frustrating.  I've spent at least 60 hours of my time fighting against the date field not being honored and when you're dealing with a massive data source, it's taking an hour after each change before I can test to see if it's working or not while it's refreshing the data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ооо I LOVE U !