AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio - issue with metrics and dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having some problems with data visualization of metrics with two different dimensions. I have data sets for 14 geographic locations, broken out by date/time. I want to be able to filter a graph by date and location. Does anyone have any idea how to set up a Google sheet with this data to do so?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Christopher L

It's a little hard to say without your data or report to look at, but an optimum data layout would be something like:

Location          Day          Time

One                Monday     3.00

One                Tuesday    2.00

Two                Monday     3.00

Does this help?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

My understanding is you want to "filter", not create a report breakdown by date & location.

Your spreadsheet columns can be either Location, Date, Value or Date, Location, Value

In your DS report, add a Date Range control to allow your user to pick the date, and a Filter Control with Location so they can pick the location they want.

This should do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand what you're saying, and while I haven't tried yet, I hope that works. If I have 14 locations with data sets, what you're saying is that it would look like this?:

Date    Location   Total

6/26    Loc. #1       x

6/26    Loc. #2       x

6/26   Loc. #14      x

6/27   Loc. #1        x

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Christopher L

Yes, that looks like a fine place to start. You'll be able to filter that data in your report.

Ben

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just make sure the date column is really using a date-recognized format, so you might want to use a full date, like 6/26/2017. Give it a try, it's not too complex and this should easily work.