1.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio - issue with metrics and dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having some problems with data visualization of metrics with two different dimensions. I have data sets for 14 geographic locations, broken out by date/time. I want to be able to filter a graph by date and location. Does anyone have any idea how to set up a Google sheet with this data to do so?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Christopher L

It's a little hard to say without your data or report to look at, but an optimum data layout would be something like:

Location          Day          Time

One                Monday     3.00

One                Tuesday    2.00

Two                Monday     3.00

Does this help?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

My understanding is you want to "filter", not create a report breakdown by date & location.

Your spreadsheet columns can be either Location, Date, Value or Date, Location, Value

In your DS report, add a Date Range control to allow your user to pick the date, and a Filter Control with Location so they can pick the location they want.

This should do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand what you're saying, and while I haven't tried yet, I hope that works. If I have 14 locations with data sets, what you're saying is that it would look like this?:

Date    Location   Total

6/26    Loc. #1       x

6/26    Loc. #2       x

6/26   Loc. #14      x

6/27   Loc. #1        x

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Christopher L

Yes, that looks like a fine place to start. You'll be able to filter that data in your report.

Ben

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just make sure the date column is really using a date-recognized format, so you might want to use a full date, like 6/26/2017. Give it a try, it's not too complex and this should easily work.