Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio: is this possible?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I'm trying visualize data in this spreadsheet in a custom way.

This is the data (just an example):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CcDu18iyulHU60mRsRac1ott0qlMf61hCHzJhCL8AUc/edit#gid=0

This is what I'm trying to achieve:

Temp - Data Studio - Hojas de Cálculo de Google 2016-11-01 20-55-55.jpg

I want to know the percentage of every metric over the total for every client. Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Endal
November 2016

Re: Data Studio: is this possible?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Endal,

I could't work out how to make a stacked bar chart in DS, but have you thought about presenting the data in pie charts to achieve something similar to what you are looking for?

Capture.PNG

https://datastudio.google.com/open/0BxzR1dfzSdhleElROEpsQ1ZyVnM

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Endal
November 2016

Re: Data Studio: is this possible?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Endal,

I could't work out how to make a stacked bar chart in DS, but have you thought about presenting the data in pie charts to achieve something similar to what you are looking for?

Capture.PNG

https://datastudio.google.com/open/0BxzR1dfzSdhleElROEpsQ1ZyVnM

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ben P,

Thanks for the workaround. Although is not what I was looking for, it works :-) However, I'll keep on looking for the stacked version ;-)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was able to create a true stacked bar, like your example above, by adding a second metric that was a "sum" type (it did not stack "count" type).

In my instance, I had a "help needed" Y/N field for different device types. I replaced the Ys with 1s and Ns with 0s. Then I created a "sum" type metric for the Ys. Inverted those and created a separate "sum" field for the Ns.

In my original bar chart, I had a dimension of "device type" and metric #1 of "count of device type." When I replaced it with the two sum fields for Y and N, it split each bar to show how many users of each device type needed help.

On a deadline or would test the logic with your scenario, but if you get there first, please update!

Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not following. Mondays are really bad for my brain :-/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For those still interested in this question.

You could use the chart function in Google sheets to this but you'd need to sum each metric per client so there is just one entry per client per metric.

You would then select the data > insert chart > select swap rows with columns > and select chart type > stacked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Although this is an old question, it still shows on search.  Datastudio now has a 100% Stacking option in the Bar Chart style tab. Using that along with Stacked Bars I was able to obtain a single metric. Obtaining it for individual metrics might be trickier, but multiple charts and filters worked.