AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio geographical reference by nation/regions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I would like to implement a geomap of Italy, and divide data (number of requests) by regions (all the data is listed in a google sheet document). Is there a way to implement it?
Right now I can only set the map by continent in the "zoom area" section. I guess italian regions must be named in english. Any suggestions?

EDIT: in the source edit section I can assign "region" to the specific column, but It shows an US map instead of Italy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paolo D
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I tested the geo report inside analytics too: It can only display per-city data in the map, not region-data. So I guess italian regions are still not implemented yet.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If your data source is Google Analytics you could do this:

try selecting "city" in the dimension and in zoom area select Country > IT

If your data source is Google Sheets, could you share a small sample data of 4-5 rows\\

You could use REGEXP_MATCH to rename English names to Italian.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An excerpt of the sheet is at this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1drYciRCWro8d-iE4Cw7n7nZIzNugPCeSwyZ3LhbkIB0/edit?usp=sharing

Column F represents the regions, extracted directly from Analytics.

In Datastudio I cannot set the F column as "geographic data" type > "region". It returns me an error like "the data could be invalid". 

In the zoom area I can see lots of world countries, but "IT" isn't on the list actually!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Patience, geo reports are still very much US-centric.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paolo D
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I tested the geo report inside analytics too: It can only display per-city data in the map, not region-data. So I guess italian regions are still not implemented yet.