Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio for GA Cost Data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Anyone who knows which metrics should I choose for the Google Analytics imported Cost, Click, Impression data? I wan to to use one Google Analytics Data Source to show all advertising Cost related data including AdWords, Bing Ads, Facebook & Yahoo Gemini channels. Those 3rd-party cost data has been uploaded to the GA and can check it under Google Analytics Report. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @PHILIP D,

With Data Studio being still in beta mode, some things are limited in what we can do. At this time, I do not think the Google Analytics Data Source will do what you want entirely. However, I think it could be possible using a BigQuery Data Source, which you can then use in Data Studio. 

Once you dig into this, please do come back and help others here by sharing your journey with this. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @James_Clemens for your reply. BigQuery Data Source may not applicable to us at the moment cause this will cost additional IT resources.

We are testing Data Studio and are going to find a solution to our clients who have the needs to have better report experience, Google Analytics has enough data and we have already imported all the 3rd-party channels cost data there.

I found huge amount of metrics & dimensions in Google Analytics Data Source, and has already written several calculated fields, not sure whether all of the metrics has been applied to? We just simply cannot find the cost data metrics, what can I find it or it is not available recently?

Thanks,

Philip

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @PHILIP D,

You are very welcome and I understand about the resource strain. 

Please let us know what you discover... and I will think on this further, too. You are doing some great things with Data Studio!

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your follow-ups @James_Clemens!

I'm discovering the "Cost Analysis" report in Google Analytics. This is a common solution for Google Analytics which can aggregate the advertising data such as Clicks, Impressions, Cost, CTR, CPC etc., showing in Google Analytics, and we can use this method to analysis the ROAS under GA, too.

It is located in "Acquisition -> Campaigns -> Cost Analysis"

Here is the related information from Google Help Center which introduce this Cost Analysis:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2803329?hl=en

Now our situation is, we can find the Cost Analysis report under the GA Views, but we cannot reach the "cost" "impression" "click" metrics in this GA data source of Data Studio. So I'm wondering if all of the Google Analytics metrics has been deployed to Data Studio? Or is there any additional operations to make these cost data metrics be available?

Thank you so much!

Philip

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip D
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @PHILIP D,

Absolutely great info for those seeking more. 

While I do understand the GA info, I still believe the disconnect is with sourcing it in Data Studio, per my reasons in my first reply. This would be a popular use for Data Studio so I would encourage you to use the Feedback link in the menu of Data Studio and write a detailed report of what we want to do. 

I do suspect lots more features are coming down the pipeline for us soon enough. 

Thanks for such a well-structured and thoughtful post. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your suggestion. I will provide feedback through the interface about this issue.

Best,

Philip

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The cost, impression and click data from cost data uploads is available in Data Studio, it is just deceptively categorized under Adwords. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone verify that data upload fields and data is available in Data Studio?

It doesn't look like it, but just want to confirm as the last post on this is in November (2016).

Thanks,

Adi

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes I can confirm it. The metric is called Cost.