2.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio files created in Drive - question about file types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help with an explanation of this - and apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered, I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant here:

I've noticed when creating reports in Google data Studio that files are created in my Google Drive, which seem to link to the reports that I've created. All good. But I also noticed that Data Studio files are created that seem to link to "data sources". Is that the intended behaviour? i.e. Data Studio created links in your Google Drive to both Data Sources and Reports?

What is the purpose of the links to Data Sources? Is it meant to be an easy way of creating a new Report starting with previously-created Data Source?

Thanks in advance for your help with any explanations on this matter.

Best regards - Jag

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jag M
March 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jag M

You are right, DateStudio saves your reports into your Google Drive and you can view them there. Reports are saved independently to data sources for exactly the reason you have suggested - I have one data source which connects to my Google Analytics account and many reports built on this data source - there is no need to recreate a data source connection if you already have one established which contains the data you want to use in your report.

For this reason, when you make a new report you will first see the list of data sources you have already connected to DataStudio.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for the explanation Ben, it's very helpful!

Best regards - Jag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ben P

thanks for your explanation. My company has just started to use Data Studio and of course I have noticed the many data sources the system saves in our drive. I understand the purpose but it makes everything a little confusing in drive. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent that? That datastudio won't save the reports or data sources in our drive? I haven't really found a satisfying answer yet and thought you might be able to help.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Julia

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Julia C

At the present time there is no alternative to this, you can;t change this behavior (as far as I know) and you cannot choose an alternative location for this data to be saved.

I'd suggest reaching out to Google Support directly, in case they have a way of changing the default save location for Data Studio.

This may become a lot more complicated those of us in Europe, post GDPR.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ben P,

thanks so much for your quick answer! I will reach out to Google Support and see if they can help with that matter.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Julia