Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio - date range filter with Google Sheet data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

How can I use the date range selector in Data Studio to filter data importing from a Google Sheet?

I've got weekly targets in a Google Sheet, and I'd like to see actuals sales (from Google Analytics) vs targets.

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

1. You first need to make sure that Data Studio is recognizing the date column in your data source. If it's not, you either need to adjust your date column's format sheets or you need to make sure that the column is defined as a Date in Data Studio.

*Make sure you refresh your data source in Data Studio manually after making any changes in sheets

2. Create a Date filter widget in Data Studio

3. Create your tables and/or charts

If the Date filter still does not work with your charts automatically at this point, you may need to add the Date column as the Date Dimension in your page settings or report settings. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I am having trouble with this - specifically with your comment: "need to add the Date column as the Date Dimension" - please could you provide a further explanation on how to do this (as this option isn't available in the report or page settings).

Will doing this allow me to apply a date range comparison using my Google Data Sheets data (in the same way as comparison is showed when using Google Analytics)?

Thanks

Re: Data Studio - date range filter with Google Sheet data

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have this column in GSheets:

Captura de pantalla 2018-01-16 a las 10.09.37.png

And I added it to Data Studio as data source, changing the data Type from Text to Date

Captura de pantalla 2018-01-16 a las 10.07.04.png

But I'm still cannot select a data range to filter my chart. 

Does anybody knows why?

Many thanks 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You need to match the type exactly. Try removing the pipe between your year and month in GSheets.