1.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio data not matching GA output

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using 3 dimensions in a table on data studio.  Our account uses Google Analytics premium.  I'm getting some shifting numbers in the table, as if it there's some cache issue.

I had a table with data from "yesterday" on one page, and I noticed some very high numbers that did not much with a GA table that had very similar dimensions and same timeframe.  The data studio numbers weren't even in the ballpark (10X higher than numbers in GA table).  So I created a table on another page of data studio (with one less dimension, thinking that having 3 dimensions may be causing the problem) that matched the table exactly on the first page of data studio, and I got numbers that matched the GA table.  I then copied the table from the 3rd page of data studio to the first page, added the third dimension...and the numbers then made sense.

It's very confusing, as if there's some type of cache issue...but likely more to it than that.  Any suggestions would be very helpful...especially if others have had problems and what type of solutions there  may be.

I'm hesitant to share the data studio charts with decision makers now because confidence in the data is low.  For now I'm marking the report as prototype/beta (which I know data studio is a beta product now).  At least the decision makers can see what type of reports can be created, but data is not to be totally trusted yet.

Thanks for any help, and I can provide any additional clarification if needed.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Data Studio data not matching GA output

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Noel

Are the dimensions involved standard GA dimensions, or custom dimensions? Did you modify the data source after creating it? (E.g. added any calculated fields?) Can you provide me with the setup of the tables that work and don't work?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Data Studio data not matching GA output

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rick E, thanks for the reply. The dimensions are standard GA dimensions (network domain, page, and pageviews).

So, it seems that one of the big problems is, upon viewing the table in the report, it shows values that are way too high for pageviews (10X the amount that are in the GA table). The table is network domain, page, and pageviews for the "yesterday" timeframe. When I refresh the data by pushing the button at the top of the report, the table refreshes and then reflects/matches what's in the GA tables. This is not ideal because I know users won't know about or want to refresh the page each time they view it. Is there a way to enforce this refresh upon opening the report?

I have the exact same table setup for the past 7 days (including today) on another page in the report, it again showed numbers that were way too high. I pushed the refresh button, and the high numbers remained. Then, I made a small edit to one of the filters (inconsequential), and the numbers refreshed and now match the GA table.

Additionally, I just went to another page and went back to the page with "yesterday" data, and the numbers had reverted back to the high ones.  Upon pushing the reload button, the numbers became accurate again.

Lastly, the traffic map I created with similar filters to the table shows numbers that are way too high as well, and even upon reload, the numbers stay too high.

Can you provide a way to get the tables to match GA upon load? It looks like eventually the numbers start to match GA, but it takes too much fiddling with and is not practical to share with decision-makers.

Thanks for your time!

Data Studio data not matching GA output

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Noel,

I am still having the same issue with data not matching up with my google analytics account, did you ever find out the issue?

Thanks

Alison