AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio Newbie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I logged into Data Studio approximately 12 hours ago.  I'm trying to build a simple graph that visualizes our race team's lap times.  X-axis should be laps, Y-axis should be lap times.  This is probably simple, but I am unable to get it done correct.  

I have attached a screenshot of the data source.  Each driver will have a tab and eventually I'd like to have the ability to toggle certain drivers to overlay each other.  However, I first need to be able to just have a simple graph for each driver.

Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 9.27.58 PM.png

Data Studio Newbie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Dusty R,

Welcome to DataStudio!

Unfortunately, I can't see the image you've attached, could you try attaching it again, or sharing a link to your image?

What you are describing sounds like it should be fairly straightforward, but will of course depend on the format of your data Smiley Happy

Ben

Data Studio Newbie

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Since laps and lap times both sound like metrics, you may want to try a scatter plot instead of a line chart. You can then add a filter so you can select specific drivers.

Data Studio Newbie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm unable to upload a screen shot for some reason.  Here is a link to the image.  Should it be easier to access the sheet itself, I can give a link to that as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B375ej3clMd5UUY4cGpEenFxRzA/view?usp=sharing

Data Studio Newbie

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you want to be able to filter by the car#? If so, you need to copy that number so it shows up in each row it applies to. 

Data Studio Newbie

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Also, it will be significantly easier to filter if you have all your laps and race times and drivers in the same tab. That way, you can see overall numbers, or filter for specific drivers. It gives you more flexibility.