2.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio - Google Sheets Geographic Data Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone attempted to use a Google Sheets data source containing geographic data in Data Studio? We are attempting to create a state comparison map based on our data; however, we are unable to change the data type in Data Studio from Text to a Geo based format (Country, Region, Metro, etc) without an error popping up. The raw data is the state name in column B and a count in column C. 

If anyone has had any luck with this, please let me know what is the best data type to use. 

Thanks!

Re: Data Studio - Google Sheets Geographic Data Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kari,

I was able to get this working successfully from Google sheets to populate into data studio maps.
Several options seem to work with the maps:
In the type Geo we can specify the following options with corresponding values in the Google Sheets
Country - Country Name - e.g. United States
Country Code - ISO Country Code - e.g. US
Region - State Name - e.g. Texas
Region Code - State ISO Code - e.g. US-TX
City - City Name - e.g. Chicago

When I specified the type as Geo -> City and others I would receive an error message saying that the data may not be in the correct format, but it accepted it and it works.

The only one I haven't had any luck with are the Metro ID which appear to be the 6 digit DMA region codes listed in the list you referenced above. When put in Plain text format Datastudio seems to recognise the format but not display any data on the map which shows the regions. Numeric format doesn't seem to be recognised at all (with a bank map). Strangely this seems to be working as a Metro ID coming from GA but I can't get it working from Sheets.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any more on this? An example of how to lay it out in google sheets would be great. 

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used Lat and Lon to do my mapping and it did take a few tries to get the formatting to agree in the Data Studio.