1.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio: Filter data based on user id

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This question is strictly about data studio, nothing related to Google Analytics or Adwords. And I literally have zero knowledge about Analytics.

I plan to create a report and share them to my co-workers. The data sources could be anything, say BigQuery, Cloud SQL or Sheet. But I want to present the information that is relevant to the current viewing user. So I probably need to determine the user id of the person who is viewing and filter data accordingly. I probably will need to have an mapping table, telling which user id is relevant to which keys of tables, somewhere that I can join and filter data. So the question is how do I do that in data studio? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

as far as I know, it is not possible yet. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You currently can't access User ID from Data Studio, so this isn't possible.

Highlighted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mimoune and Sian. I think you are right. Can't find the way to do that in Data Studio. But after spending some time digging around, I found a workaround. We can use the capability in the data sources to detect user ids. It's the viewer's credential feature. If set, the backend database can identify the current user. For example, SESSION_USER() function in BQ would return the user id.