3.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio Displaying Trillions instead of Millions for all dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Data Studio is displaying all of my Analytics data that is in £ with extra 000's on the end. Everything that should be in millions is in trillions. 

Has anyone else had this issue? It first began when I changed the source from microdata to GBP. Now I cant switch it back as micro data has vanished as  an option. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alistair S
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I haven't come across any documentation about their changes to formatting numbers, but I haven't searched for any either. The initial number format options were so short lived that I wouldn't be surprised if they just updated it and moved forward without even mentioning it.

I think you can fix this issue by creating a new custom metric however. For instance, you can use the formula {cost metric}/1000000 and then change the format to currency. I'm not 100% certain that formula is correct but it's something like that. You should then be able to replace the metrics in the broken widgets with your new, working metric.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried replacing the broken widgets with new ones? Or manually refreshing the Data Source fields? The refresh is in the bottom-left corner of the page after clicking on create Custom Dimension/Metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It looks like the broken widgets issue having had a quick Google. Is there a guide from Google for fixing this? Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alistair S
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I haven't come across any documentation about their changes to formatting numbers, but I haven't searched for any either. The initial number format options were so short lived that I wouldn't be surprised if they just updated it and moved forward without even mentioning it.

I think you can fix this issue by creating a new custom metric however. For instance, you can use the formula {cost metric}/1000000 and then change the format to currency. I'm not 100% certain that formula is correct but it's something like that. You should then be able to replace the metrics in the broken widgets with your new, working metric.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is exactly what I have done. Seemed like a bit of a bodge so I'm happy to see it given as advice by someone else too. Thanks very much for taking the time to contribute.