5.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio Data doesn't match GA Data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed the Sessions and Pageviews in my Data Studio report and GA report doesn't match when I applied the filters below.

Filter applied in Data Studio:

Dimension - Page

Match Type - Contains

Expression - /community/Expert

Filter applied in GA:

Segment > Conditions > Page contains /community/Expert

The numbers within GA report is 2x higher than in Data Studio report. The Users data do match between the two reports though. 

Am I missing something?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hue V
October 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Hue,

The filter you applied in Data Studio is at a hit level, so all data returned are specific to pages that contain /community/Expert. The segment you applied in GA is at either a session or user level, so the totals will be much higher since it includes pageviews other pages also viewed in the session. Going to the pages report in GA and applying the "page contains /community/Expert" filter should return the same results as Data Studio. 

The sessions metric, when applied to a page dimension via filter, correspond with how many users saw the page in the very beginning of their visit. For the filter you applied in Data Studio, the sessions metric is essentially telling you how many visits entered on a page containing /community/Expert, not necessarily how many visits "saw" a page containing /community/Expert. 

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also facing the same issue!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hue V
October 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Hue,

The filter you applied in Data Studio is at a hit level, so all data returned are specific to pages that contain /community/Expert. The segment you applied in GA is at either a session or user level, so the totals will be much higher since it includes pageviews other pages also viewed in the session. Going to the pages report in GA and applying the "page contains /community/Expert" filter should return the same results as Data Studio. 

The sessions metric, when applied to a page dimension via filter, correspond with how many users saw the page in the very beginning of their visit. For the filter you applied in Data Studio, the sessions metric is essentially telling you how many visits entered on a page containing /community/Expert, not necessarily how many visits "saw" a page containing /community/Expert. 

Hope this helps,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

I'm facing a similar problem but the opposite, data in Google Analytics is appearing less than that in Data Studio

Filters on Data studio:

Page

When looking at a chart with either medium or device (separate not together), the Avg. Session Duration is appearing as longer on Data Studio than on Google Analytics, and the Unique Sessions as more than in Google Analytics and pageviews is also less. 

I'm a bit confused as to which data is best to go with?

Thanks,

Ashley

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

In addition to not mixing page level data with session or user level data, I would also like to recommend that everyone double checks the date ranges when making these types of comparisons. It sounds obvious but it's a simple oversight that happens to everyone at some point. 

It's also important to note that Analytics will do something with large data sets called sampling. Sampling is basically the same thing they do with election polls where they take a small amount of data and then estimate the results for larger scales. So GA will basically take the averages of the first 5k rows of data and then use those numbers to estimate the rest. I'm not sure if Data Studio is using sampling or not, but this can affect the outputs as well.  

I would not worry too much about these discrepancies though unless they are massively different. Instead, I would just focus on optimizing whichever platform you would like to use the most. Under the hood, the data is always going to be weird/missing/dirty/inaccurate, but the person creating the reports is the only one who will ever notice as long as you  make clear, concise reports that make sense and add up properly on the surface!

If you need to pick a single source of truth, Analytics is probably going to be your best bet since it is housing the raw data. If you need to share reports with multiple people, however, I would just declare Data Studio as the source of truth and make sure that those reports are as accurate as possible within the laws and walls of Data Studio. If the average session duration is a little different than it is in Analytics, so be it. If we are lucky, Data Studio is not sampling the data so it might even be more accurate than analytics at the end of the day.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Similar issue, no filters applied looking at Sessions.  for a given week.  Sunday GA and DS match, by Saturday of that same week DS shows 29,050 and GA shows 19,788

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recommend using GA connectors with great caution. There're several issues. Some covered by earlier answers, others covered in this post:

Why google analytics connectors are useless

May I suggest avoiding GA connectors all together using scitylana.com. Being official Google Analytics partners, they extract raw hit-level data from a free GA account through the API. Data are delivered as local text files or uploaded to a BigQuery account of your choice.

With hit-level data in BigQuery, you can connect with DataStudio and query all dimensions and metrics without sampling og without any 7-dimension limit. This also removes issues on scoping your query on users, sessions, or pages