1.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio Data doesn't match GA Data for week of year

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When creating a simple sessions line graph in data studio and placing a dimension of week of year on this graph, the data does not match

It looks as does the discrepancy is down to the way Data Studio sets the weeks

A GA calendar week looks to run Sunday-Saturday 

So on GA weekly sessions for 20th Nov - 26th Nov is stated as being week 28th Nov to 4th Dec on Data studio?? We haven't even reached 4th Dec 2016 yet

Work around is that I know Data Studio is a week ahead, but it's a bit frustrating that it doesn't work how it should in the report

Any help?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author cyrus azami
December 2016

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

I edited the my response to include a note about how to update the Data Source -- did you do that?

To test out the fix it may be easiest to try it in a brand new report and a brand new Data Source connection. Can you try that and let me know if the problem persists?

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Cyrus -- would you be able to share a copy of your report with data-studio-help@google.com and then ping this thread to let us know about it. I'd like to take a look at your problem. Thanks! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. Have shared report with that email address and included link to the thread

Re: Data Studio Data doesn't match GA Data for week of year

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Disregard this -- had some wrong info here. See latest below.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Wanted to correct something I said in the previous message.

We are not introducing non-ISO fields. Instead we are 1) fixing a bug where we were not pointing to the correct GA field and hence the dates didn't line up as you reported, and 2) updating the labels of these date types so they are more explicit about what they are ("ISO Week of the Year" and "ISO Week of the ISO Year").

These changes should be in later this week. Let us know if you continue seeing this past Wednesday or have follow up questions!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

So just to double check - the new dimension in Data Studio should be called "ISO Week of Year" to match data of GA weeks?

If so I'm not seeing this dimension in Data studio yet

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

CLARIFYING UPDATE: to clarify, if you don't see the new dimension name you'll need to refresh the data source by selecting a chart, click on the pencil icon next to your data source, and click on "REFRESH FIELDS" in the bottom left corner. This should bring in the new fields, although note that you'll need to update all charts and tables that contained the old week dimension. Hope that helps!

Yes -- the new label for the time series in question is "ISO Year Week (YYYYWww)" and should return values such as "Nov 21, 2016 to Nov 27, 2016 (Week 47)". The date values should now line up with what you see in GA (you may need to refresh the report or remove and re-add the time old time dimensions).

Please let us know if this is still a problem. Feel free to share any new reports that contain bad dates with data-studio-help@google.com. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks 

I'm not seeing the ISO week format dimensions in "Time Dimensions" (I'm creating a time series chart)? It looks as though I need to edit the type of dimension of ISO Year week from text to Date & Time and YYYYWww

Is this right? As I get to message saying 

"You are setting ISO Week of the Year as a ISO Year Week (YYYYWww), but we couldn't recognize its format.

This may cause unexpected behavior. Would you like to continue?"

Thought it would be worth double checking before I go ahead and do this

Do I need to create a new dimension/edit the type to put ISO weeks into the Time format? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author cyrus azami
December 2016

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

I edited the my response to include a note about how to update the Data Source -- did you do that?

To test out the fix it may be easiest to try it in a brand new report and a brand new Data Source connection. Can you try that and let me know if the problem persists?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep with a new report and data source connection that is all working now!

Thanks again for your help