Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio - Create Dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I would like to create a calculated field in Data Studio in order to measure the Profit of each of my products.

Then, the formula is quite basic and simple: Product Revenue - (Quantity sold x Cost of purchased Product).

However, in order to do so, I have to create a new dimension in which each SKU (product article) is a separate dimension (since the price I buy my products are different for each & the price I sell it for, is likewise).

Any suggestions or alternative to solve my issue? Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nicolas C
February 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You should be able to add a generic formula to Data Studio and add Product SKU as a Breakdown Dimension, this should filter the revenue for each product. Or you can create a filter with the SKU or list of SKUs you would like to have in each report. I hope this helps! Let me know if it solves your problem...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your kind answer Helena.

Here is the point:

- "Product SKU" already exists as a dimension in Data studio, however this gathers ALL the SKUs I have. Then what I need is to create one dimension corresponding to one unique SKU as each of my SKU have a different purchase price. Then, I will be able to make the following formula : Profit of Unique SKU (dimension) = Revenue (per SKU) - (Unique purchase (for each SKU) x Purchase price (I will create one metric for each SKU)).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

did you try to add the SKU you want as a filter to your report? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This way I will not be able to make a breakdown table report. Might be quite inconvinient as part of a presentation to make one report for one SKU (considering I have more than 80 SKUs)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Basically, now what I am doing is the following: Product Revenue - (quantity * X). So indeed, If I filter the SKU I can have the gross profit of one SKU per card, and I have to create one different metric for all of my SKUs (with a different purchase price).

Do you think there is a way to automatize all this by linkingone metric gathering all purchase price SKUs? Then, One formula would be enough = Product Revenue - (Quantity * Product Purchase Price).

This way, I would be able to create one table report calculating automatically gross profit for all my SKUs.

Thanks for your help!