Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio: Connecting To Adword Quality Score Metric

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone

This is likely a really stupid question so apologies in advance, but how to I connect to Adwords Quality Score values in my Google Data Studio report. I cannot find the metric within the list of those available.

I've also reconnected/refreshed the data source hoping it would find this metric but it doesn't appear. As this isn't a custom metric and one created by AdWords, I thought it would appear when the data source is connected.

Thanks!

Adam

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Adam Sydney ,

I am not so sure about this, but i read here(link below) that there are some beta issues (including the missing Quality score metric) in data studio that are gonna be fixed soon.
Link: http://www.slideshare.net/phildpearce/google-data-studio-first-impressions-measurecamp
(slide 16)

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Ritwik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ritwik

Thanks for the reply and update regarding this, much appreciated. I'll keep a look out on the forums as to when a fix has been implemented on this.

In the meantime, I have spoken to my colleagues and they have suggested running an AdWords script daily to pull quality score data from Adwords and place into a Google Sheet. With this new data source created, this links to the Data Studio report.

It's a little crude, but it seems to work so far Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Adam

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Adam -- thanks for the question!

The AdWords connector does not currently have the Quality Score field. We are looking at adding this field, and I'm hoping that we can have it there sometime in February!

In the meanwhile your Sheets-based solution is likely the best way to proceed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alon

Thanks for the reply and update on this. That's great this update is in the pipeline over the coming weeks. I'll watch out for an update in the forums. In the meantime i'll continue to use the sheets based solution to get this data.

Cheers,

Adam

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

@Adam Sydney: wanted to follow up here.

Our engineers investigated this a bit and found that AdWords may contain multiple versions of Quality Scores.

Would you be able to share with me more info about how you use this field? If you are able to share a screenshot of the AdWords reporting interface that shows where this field lives, or a sample dataset or report that includes the field that would be extremely useful.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Alon G thanks for the follow up and happy to answer your question.

Our clients receive both weekly/monthly AdWords campaign reports and an element of this report is detailing the quality score performance/fluctuation across all campaign keywords. We use this data to assist client's understanding to explain current budget spend, avg CPCs etc.

I've recently started using an AdWords script found here - http://www.freeadwordsscripts.com/2013/04/store-account-campaign-and-adgroup.html to pull weekly and monthly average campaign, ad group and keyword quality score data for our reports. I spoke with my colleagues regarding this and they recommended running the above script daily to get quality score data and export to a Google Sheet which is then connected to the report. This data however needs to sit in a separate table due to the 'non AdWords' data connection.

Currently within Data Studio you can obtain all AdWords keyword metrics (clicks, CTR, CPC, avg pos, spend etc) but not Quality Score. 

Hope this makes sense, funnily enough I don't actually work in the AdWords team but I've been tasked with created more streamlined reports so I'm learning all the time Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Adam

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

@Adam Sydney: thanks so much for the detailed response. We are investigating this field further, and I'll circle back when I have further updates!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Wanted to follow up here and let you know that we've added the "Keyword quality score" field to the AdWords connector. To see this field you can either 1) create a new AdWords data source, or 2) edit you existing data source and hit the blue "RECONNECT" button.

Feedback welcomed as always. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome that it's been added! Anyway we can apply a heatmap to it? It's setup as a dimension not a metric, but in the reports I create on/off Data Studio I really use it as a metric for each keyword+matchtype combo.

Experts in the Topic
Alon G