2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Studio Acquisition channel report doesn't match Google Analytics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up a report in Data Studio to pull up sessions metrics for the acquisition channel dimension. However, the numbers don't match with the data for Acquisition>Traffic>Channels reports in GA. For some channels the data studio numbers are greater and for some channels the GA numbers are greater. I have no filter or segment set up in GA or Data Studio. I toggled between low accuracy/high accuracy in GA to check if sampling is causing the issue, but the numbers didn't change.

Also, when I add users as a metric to the acquisition channel report in Data Studio, it throws an error saying incompatible metric-dimension combination. Wherein the same combination is available in GA. What could be causing these issues?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

How many landing pages (or pages_ do you have? And how many pageviews do you have too?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have more than 25 million pageviews for a month.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you have a 360 account (Premium GA)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes. Since the beginning of the account.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

And how many pages you have? Normally, GDS doesn't do any sampling of your GA data. So, I'm really surprised here, and furthermore you have a 360 account. What about your time zone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have 100s of thousands of pages with a lot of dynamic search results pages. And the time zone is east coast US.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Mirza, 

Going from what you described above, I'm experiencing the exact same problem! Basic reports like Sessions per Acquisition Channel and even total sessions per month don't add up to what I'm seeing in GA... 

Issue I reported