3.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data Source disappeared and all reports empty

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yesterday I logged into my account and all of the reports were missing. The reports are shared reports. The creator/owner of the reports also did not see them in their account and ended up founding them in the Trash even though they were not deleted. They also found that the data source was no longer in the account either, it also disappeared. Once the reports were removed from the Trash we clicked into the reports and all of them were empty.

Where each chart lived now is a white box with the text "Failed to get the data. The data source needs to be added to the report." inside. When we click to add the data source back, we see an "unknown" data source and a link to "Request Access". When we click"Request Access" it just takes us back to the main page.

google data studio.png

The creator/owner of the reports also attempted to fix the issue and create the data source again so it could be added to the reports. The data source was able to be created under the main Data Source section however the reports would not allow this new data source to be connected. 

Bottom line is, unfortunately ALL of our reports are blank and we have not found a way to fix them and bring them back to life. If someone can please advise that would be great.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Aba,

I'm really sorry for your trouble here! 

Are you currently able to create a data source and report? 

One thing you can try is reauthorizing Data Studio to access your accounts. Start by removing Data Studio's access to your Google account

Then go back to Data Studio and create a new data source of whatever type you usually use. This will ask you to reauthorize.

At that point, you should be able to create reports and data sources again.

It may help you reattach the data sources from the older reports, but I'm not sure. The mystery is still how they got put in the trash to begin with.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Re: Data Source disappeared and all reports empty

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

We did try your suggestions again (we actually tried this yesterday as ell) and unfortunately it doesn't appear that it moved closer to a resolution.  Yesterday when we tried this I thought maybe it was still "working" but the report we tried this on yesterday still looks the same. I tried it today on one of the other reports and had the same result. Again when we try and click "Request Access" it takes us to the main page and also the "Edit" button doesn't do anything (sorry forgot to mention that one in my first post).

Pasted image at 2017_07_18 05_11 PM.png

Is there anything else I can try?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Aba

It really sounds like you've lost your authorization to Data Studio. When you now visit your connected apps page (https://myaccount.google.com/permissions) do you see Data Studio? And when you try to create a new data source for a Google product like Google Analytics or BigQuery, does it ask you to authorize? Or does it see your data sets right away?

Re: Data Source disappeared and all reports empty

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

We do have authorization (image below) but it does not ask for authorization when we add a data source. It does see our data source right away.

Pasted image at 2017_07_19 12_43 PM.png 

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Aba

Are you by any chance using Team Drives, or storing the reports in a Drive folder with sharing permissions turned off? Assuming the answers are no and no, can you share a failing report and data source to data-studio-help@google.com?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

We are unclear if we are doing those but we shared the report and data source. Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thanks!

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Aba,

I'm seeing a Drive API failure (you can see that if you open the Developer Tools window and look at the Console). 

Did your organization change your ability to use Google Drive? (Can you create and share docs from Drive?)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

I just confirmed with our Admin for our Company Google Apps account and she said nothing was changed. We are still able to create and share docs.