AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am not sure if this has been asked / raised before but is it going to be possible to change the allocated colour for attributes in charts?

I can create different charts with sample data below and the colour of each attribute will change dependent on the values in each chart. So what I want is for Pig to always be Green, Dog to always be Red etc, not change dependent on it's value.

APig21
HDog55.2
YFish94.2
ABadger86.3

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Nisanth

Thank you for your reply.

This is a question around Google Data Studio, I do not think are able to inject this code into Data Studio.

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adam,

For DataStudio use templates and  its very easy to customize according to your needs.

https://www.google.com/analytics/data-studio/gallery/

Nisanth | Google Partner | Abu Dhabi | United Arab Emirates | Emirates College of Technology

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Nisanth

I understand that chart colours can be changed to any #value that you require. My query is how to make attribute colour in a chart remain the same over various charts. 

If I have pie chart for the following data:

Name - QTY - Value

Fred - 12 - 2

Dave - 9 - 6

Steve - 5 - 8

A QTY pie chart would have the name Fred as Colour 1 - Blue, Dave as Colour 2 - Red and Steve as Colour 3 - Yellow. 

A Value Pie chart would have the name Steve as Colour 1 - Blue, Dave as Colour 2 -Red and Fred as Colour 3 - Yellow. 

The attribute colour has changed due to the value of the data, I and most other User's, need the option to allocate a colour to an attribute so that Fred is allows Colour 1 - Blue over each charts. Otherwise you cannot view multiple charts on the same page as the colour scheme does not marry up across charts.

Please see example - https://datastudio.google.com/open/0B0czLLzEuaGsVjZtNFBTY0hpWU0

Thanks

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Can be customized: See the link. Check the color of google and direct traffic. I customized the color. Even the value change the color assigned has not changed.

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/org//reporting/0B2lBdnfd32HGNTVGREQwdVNRM1k/page/CdSD?hl=en

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Nisanth

I understand that they can be customised by going into the properties of the individual charts, but lets say you have made that dashboard, sent it out and it is now live. 

Now the colour of the is not static though, doesn't the attribute Google change to red if it becomes over 50% of the total?

The colours in the charts swap over dependent on the value size, they do not remain static against a specific metric. So Google will not always be the same colour.

The colours are based on value not "name of data set" so any changes in values, for live functioning dashboards, will change the colour and layout of the charts. I cannot allocate a "Brand" it's own colour because it will change dependent on what value they have the highest percentage off in each metric. This is  a very basic requirement that is available in all other Dashboarding tools. 

Am I incorrect is there a way of assigning "Google" the colour purple and for it to remain purple no matter what the metric value is?

Data - Assigning colours

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't believe that it is possible at the moment to assign a color to a dimension. Rather, the colors are assigned to the 1st/2nd/3rd/etc highest value of the metric. It's possible to change them manually, as noted above, but this isn't user friendly when you have other users viewing your dashboards. I've seen lots of other people reporting this problem too, so I'm really hoping this is in Google's next release.

Data - Assigning colours

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Litmon

I have had this raised by 14 separate people within our Company and it has led to some of them not continuing with their use of Data Studio, which is a shame as I am actively promoting it with the 30,000 people who work in my Group. 

It is something that really needs to be added to the Data Studio Roadmap hence why I posted the query on this forum to make sure that I was not in error and that it was definatly not a function that was already available. 

I am going to raise this as a Feature request on GWC here and email the Data Studio Account Lead. Please vote on my post.

Thanks

Adam

Data - Assigning colours

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for posting into this old thread but i do have exactly the same problem. 
Is there anything solving this problem at the moment? 

Looking forward for an answer 

Thanks
Johannes