AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Custom Dimensions/Metrics for Big Query data not working

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently building a dashboard using a public dataset from Big Query and have been trying to create some custom dimensions and metrics but nothing seems to work. Even the simplest rules, like UPPER(Donor Gended) or count(Donations) for example, will only return errors. I am not sure if this is because I am using a public dataset, because I am writing something incorrectly or something else. 

 

I am currently using FEC filing data from opensecrets.org and the only thing I've done to customize the data is rename some of the columns in data studio to help clarify headers for end users. 

 

Any ideas or suggestions for creating new dimensions or metrics here? I would really like to add a few things and/or clean some things up using data studio's functions rather than writing custom queries if possible. I can make the dashboard public too if that helps. 

 

Thanks. 

Re: Custom Dimensions/Metrics for Big Query data not working

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Here is a public version of my dashboard if it helps illustrate what I want to do. I want to clean up the gender and party names and I want to create some new calculated metrics since the only metric is the amount of $ donated. https://datastudio.google.com/open/0BxzXCIbhgxjQSVY2NHRteFdjMzA

Re: Custom Dimensions/Metrics for Big Query data not working

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I seem to have solved the issue, but I'm not exactly sure how. The dashboard originally had 2 pages and the 2nd page had some widgets copied from the 1st page to help speed things up. The 2nd page was giving me errors whenever I applied filters however. I couldn't find the root cause so I ended up deleting the entire 2nd page. Later on, I attempted to create the custom metrics and dimensions in the first page and it worked! The last attempt at creating the new fields was also made from a different computer.
Since data studio is purely cloud based, I don't think changing computers made a difference but I figured it might be worth mentioning. I'm guessing that at least one of the duplicated charts on page 2 was interfering with something...maybe duplication is a problem or maybe having 2 pages trying to do different filters on the same data source was the problem...I don't know, but it's working so I am happy.

I will leave the dashboard up for anyone that wants to check it out. I made it after watching a video from a Google dev, Felipe Hoffa, showing how to use the same data and Big Query to get insights about election campaign finances. It was a fantastic demo and I immediately thought, "Hey, I bet I could do something like that with Data Studio!" And sho nuff, I had a dope dashboard in less than 30 mins (a few hiccups along the way but nothing too crazy). I put a link to Filipe's demo in the dashboard and I hope I properly credited opensecrets.org for the data.