Data Studio
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Custom Dimensions From Google Analytics - Where are they in data studio?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We use custom dimensions in google analytics to identify our visitors by their account level status (i.e. trial member, paid member etc). 

Can that data be accessed in data studio and if so where/how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dustin h
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried to refresh the fields in your data source as if you added the custom dimension after creating the datasource it wont appear in the reports your building?

View solution in original post

Re: Custom Dimensions From Google Analytics - Where are they in data studio?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dustin,

Once you connect your Google Analytics view to a Data Studio report, all of your custom dimensions and metrics should be listed by name under the 'Custom Variables or Columns' section of the dimension dropdown menu.

Re: Custom Dimensions From Google Analytics - Where are they in data studio?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lindsey,

Custom dimensions & metrics are not organized in the custom folder in Google Analytics. Only 'custom variables' and' user defined' are located in that folder, so I don't expect to see these organized in data studio that way. Even if that was the case, my data is not showing up there.

My custom dimension in google analytics can be accessed via a custom report or segment, where I can reference the custom dimension I created called 'account level' followed by whatever names I have for that custom dimension.

Sorry, but I don't see this working the way you suggested. Any other ideas??

Best,

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dustin, 

Although custom dimensions and metrics are sorted separately from custom and user-defined variables in the Analytics interface, they are lumped together under the above mentioned 'Custom Variables or Columns' dropdown in Data Studio. Unused dimensions/metrics will just show their index number, and custom dimensions and metrics should show up as the actual name that they are given in the Analytics interface. 

If you're aren't showing up there, it must be a bug of some kind.

Here's a picture of mine for reference. The 'Author', 'Author - GTM', etc. are 2 of my custom dimensions that I have set up in the GA interface:

https://drive.google.com/a/imge.com/file/d/0B3P1opvnNp9cQnN2cy1OOUtnUFU/view?usp=sharing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lindsey, 

Thanks for the screenshot. The actual name is not showing up for me under custom variables and columns, so maybe it's a bug like you suggest? I don't know...

Any ideas?

Best,

Dustin

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dustin h
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried to refresh the fields in your data source as if you added the custom dimension after creating the datasource it wont appear in the reports your building?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

That worked! Thanks Andrew!!