5.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Via MySQL, I have a table of dates in one column and the number of new users in another column. I can create a nice graph that shows the number of new users per day. However, I would like to also plot a graph of cumulative users. Is this possible (other than by creating a MySQL column that sums all the rows to maintain a running total)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob C
June

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After hours of work on a script that calculates and stores cumulative totals server-side, I just stumbled upon a checkbox on the 'style' tab that switches on a cumulative view!

View solution in original post

Cumulative total field

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried creating a calculated field in Data Studio that sums the new users column?

https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/6299685?hl=en

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I couldn't figure out how I could do that. For any given row of the table, I would need it to add the new_users value to the previous value of this calculated column. However, I can't find any way to reference this previous row. 

Cumulative total field

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I missed the note about the running total.  In this case I don't know how you'd do that since there's no way to calculate Row Indexing in Data Studio.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob C
June

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After hours of work on a script that calculates and stores cumulative totals server-side, I just stumbled upon a checkbox on the 'style' tab that switches on a cumulative view!

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you tell me where is that button? I am facing the same problem, but I didn't find such button on the style page? Thx!

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, I don't see it possible for tables. I do see the checkbox Rob is mentioning but only for charts