AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Via MySQL, I have a table of dates in one column and the number of new users in another column. I can create a nice graph that shows the number of new users per day. However, I would like to also plot a graph of cumulative users. Is this possible (other than by creating a MySQL column that sums all the rows to maintain a running total)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob C
June 2017

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After hours of work on a script that calculates and stores cumulative totals server-side, I just stumbled upon a checkbox on the 'style' tab that switches on a cumulative view!

View solution in original post

Cumulative total field

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Have you tried creating a calculated field in Data Studio that sums the new users column?

https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/6299685?hl=en

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I couldn't figure out how I could do that. For any given row of the table, I would need it to add the new_users value to the previous value of this calculated column. However, I can't find any way to reference this previous row. 

Cumulative total field

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I missed the note about the running total.  In this case I don't know how you'd do that since there's no way to calculate Row Indexing in Data Studio.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rob C
June 2017

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After hours of work on a script that calculates and stores cumulative totals server-side, I just stumbled upon a checkbox on the 'style' tab that switches on a cumulative view!

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you tell me where is that button? I am facing the same problem, but I didn't find such button on the style page? Thx!

Cumulative total field

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, I don't see it possible for tables. I do see the checkbox Rob is mentioning but only for charts