AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Creating a share calculation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to look at my data as a percent of total volume and can't seem to find the proper way to show share overtime vs the raw data for the metric over time.  what is the best way to calculate / show share of a metric?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am sure many of us would love to help, but I don't many of us really get your question.

"share overtime vs the raw data for the metric over time." => is your "overtime" referring to say a week and your "over time" refer to say all the data available? So are you trying  to get the volume say for this week and express it as a percentage of the total volume till date?

For DCM data, there is already a month field, doing a total by month is possible and using that as "Monthly Total" and express it as a precentage of "Total" is possible. But there are other cases where is not possible such as you need to compute the total till date volume dynamically as Google Data Studio do not support Today().

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks - sorry if I wasn't clear. This is for data i am uploading into sheets.  I am not looking to do a calculation of share of volume to date.

My question is along the lines of your latter example - share of monthly total.  I have a monthly unit metric that can be shown across many dimensions overtime (country, os, brand, device, etc) how can i create a share calculation for each dimension (country share, os share, brand share, device share) for the month?  This seems like something that would be very easy to do but i can't figure it out.

Thank you so much for your help.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

So if I understand correctly, your data looks like this:

Country | OS        | Brand | Device     | Monthly Volume 

US           iOS         ABC       iPhone      100 

US           Android   ABC       Samsung   90

UK           iOS         ABC       iPhone      120 

UK           Android   ABC       Others      75

If there is no Total Column column, I don't think is possible.

If there is a Total Volume column, then I think is possible if is a scorecard, not sure does it work for a table

% of Volume => Monthly Volume / Total Volume

basically the above will create the percentage field but as you only want to see it based on a particular dimension, just apply a filter to show based on the dimension you want to see.

Hope this help.. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - I believe you are right - this is not possible. However, it seems like a simple toggle option that should be apart of the area and time series visualizations.  "Show as a percentage" 

But at least I know now that it can't be done.

Thanks again for your help