AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Creating Templates from My Own Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have created a dashboard using Data Studio via which I'm able to keep an eye on top-level KPI's for each of my clients at the account level. Let's call it "Report A." I would like to use my existing report I've made, Report A, as a template, and be able to replicate it to make a similar dashboard for my co-worker who has a different list of accounts out of our MCC that he needs to viewing in his report, let's call his report "Report B." I see that a report can be "duplicated." However, when I duplicate Report A, my existing report, and rename the duplicate to "Report B" to be used by my co-worker as his dashboard, then swap out which accounts are listed in Report B so he can see his accounts, it swaps out which accounts are listed in the dashboard in my original report (Report A) as well.

What I'm essentially looking for is a way to use an existing report as a template. The "duplicate" feature would work if when I duplicate report A to create report B and then change which accounts are listed in Report B to correspond with my co-worker's account list, it didn't also change Report A's client list to be the same as Report B's.

Anybody know why this is happening and if there's a way to make a template out of a report I've created, and then have the subsequent reports (made from the template) each be able to show different accounts from our MCC?

Thanks in advance!
Alec

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alec S
May 2017

Re: Creating Templates from My Own Reports

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Alec,

Your explanation makes more sense now and I'm pretty sure you can add 'multiple sources' from the same Data Source by relabeling the data source and they will operate independently of each other.

What I would try is on your Duplicate Copy of your report go to the top menu and select "Resource > Manage Added Data Sources"  From here click on "ADD A DATA SOURCE" then choose your MCC and select the new Adwords accounts you want.  BEFORE you do anything else click into the top left where it says "Untitled Data Source" and rename it something unique.  Then click on "CONNECT" from the top right to add this "new" datasource to the report.

And honestly you may want to add this "new" datasource before you duplicate so you can choose that during the copy process.

I think that will achieve want you want, but let me know.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I would try appending "/preview" to Report A before duplicating into Report B as indicated here and see if that works.

https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/6292498?hl=en#report-templates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts here. I understand the process of duplicating a report, however this isn't solving my current issue, since I'm trying to create reports that each only show certain accounts from my Adwords MCC (each report showing different accounts, as each report is a separate dashboard for separate account managers on our team).

What I'm doing is using "Adwords" as a data source, and then going into the Edit section of the data source in my table that I've created in my report. Then when the window pops up on the bottom half of the screen, I'm selecting the back arrow in the top left corner of that window on the bottom half of my screen next to "Edit Connection." From there I'm selecting: Adwords >> Manager Accounts >> (select my accounts that I want to view from my MCC).

Now I'm coming to find that which accounts from the MMC that I choose to view is login specific. When I'm using my one login in Data Studio, and using the same data source of "Adwords," anytime I change which set of Adwords accounts I'm pulling into any report I created using this login, it pulls that same set of accounts into every Data Studio report I created using this login.

Is there any way to utilize different accounts from the Adwords MMC in each report that one user with one login creates? Or must every report created with my one login each contain the same accounts from my Adwords MCC if "Adwords" is going to be my data source?

Hope this makes sense. If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them and try them out!

Thanks, all!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alec S
May 2017

Re: Creating Templates from My Own Reports

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Alec,

Your explanation makes more sense now and I'm pretty sure you can add 'multiple sources' from the same Data Source by relabeling the data source and they will operate independently of each other.

What I would try is on your Duplicate Copy of your report go to the top menu and select "Resource > Manage Added Data Sources"  From here click on "ADD A DATA SOURCE" then choose your MCC and select the new Adwords accounts you want.  BEFORE you do anything else click into the top left where it says "Untitled Data Source" and rename it something unique.  Then click on "CONNECT" from the top right to add this "new" datasource to the report.

And honestly you may want to add this "new" datasource before you duplicate so you can choose that during the copy process.

I think that will achieve want you want, but let me know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Perfect, Mike. That worked. Thank you so much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again, Mike! My follow up question here, now that I know about adding new, differently named data sources, is: how many data sources can we create? Is there a limit?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Have not tried to test the limit, but haven't read about a limit existing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Alec S, I created a quick video that will show you how you can create a template of a Google Data Studio report in order to duplicate it on different Google Accounts, we do this for our clients so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVg4gj8KdSQ&feature=youtu.be