Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Create calculated field with conversion percentage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi GA community,

I'm trying to show conversion percentage and having a difficult time.

The percentage show is the red box is text instead of calculated field.

The data should be 27 / 118 = 22.88%

calculated fields copy.jpg

All the data here is from Google Analytics. AVVO is traffic source and the chat lead are goals but can sometimes be events.

Thanks

Joe

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joe,

Have you tried building a calculated field to generate the conversion rate? If I am reading the above correctly it should be a fairly simple calculation between 2 fields output as a percentage.

https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6299685?hl=en

Hope that helps,

Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ben,

Thanks.. I saw this and working on trying to filtered out the segmented data.
Testing out creating custom fields but having a hard time segmenting out data.

If anyone have example for segmenting out custom fields please share.
For example segment users for google organic as a field.

Thanks

Joe

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Joe,

I think you want to put the filter on the chart that uses the calculated field. So create the calc field to give you percentage for all the data, then in your chart, add a filter for Source = organic.

Here's the Help Center article on the filter property: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/6291066

Hope that helps

Rick

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

calculated fields-4.jpg

Hi Rick, thank you for responding. 

I've clarify the question from above to show you what I'm trying to do.

Basically the table is created using Scorecard tool and Google Analytics Data.

I'm trying to create Goal Conversion percentage based on a filtered data source.

Users that Visited from traffic source Google (users = Source Equal to Google)
Goal Conversion that is filtered from Google traffic source (Goal 1 = Source Equal to Google)

thus Google Visitors/Goal Conversions (Google users) = Goal Percentage

where Goal Percentage is the Calculated field.

In the Calculated field I'm trying to do the following:

Step 1. Create Field for Google Visitors

Step 2. Create Field for Goal Conversions from Google Visitors

Step 3. then create Goal Conversion Percentage by create the formula for Google Goal Conversion/Google Visitors

But not having any success at all...

1. When trying to create Google visitors field... I use the following
SUM (CASE WHEN (Source = "google") THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

But the data that is shown by using the Scorecard tool is "0"

So I'm stuck.. can't get right data for Step 1.. and can't move to Step 2 and Step 3

Can you Please help to explain how to do this.

Thanks So Much

Joe T.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joe,

have you found a solution to segment calculated fields in data studio? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a lot of places where computing conversion would have been great, and I have the same issue because most of the scorecards are filtered by different criteria, so I can't compute them and then apply a filter, and I can't even compute some numbers like Unique Events / Users. Data Studio is telling me that it's an invalid formula to do that.

I made a feature request, which would be epic: to compute score cards based on other scorecards - https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63658612 (it would be same as computing cells based on other cells that have functions in them)

There is, however, an workaround, that is not having a calculated field to generate the conversion rate and applying filters (hack that doesn't work, especially if you have two numbers with two different filters - for example 2 different unique events).

So it goes like this...

Using an intermediate spreadsheet to compute the data... Create a new spreadsheet, add the Google Analytics Add-on, get all the numbers you need by creating multiple "Reports" with the period you want (I have it since the beginning until yesterday), and each of the "report" filtered by a custom filter, I have also split everything by Date aka Dimension (ga:date), so that I can get scorecards that have a previous comparison, then I have created a new Sheet, in which I have multiple rows, the first being the date and the rest being each of the Report; after those you can add any additional rows with any formula's you want that computes a number based on the generated "report" numbers (for example I use it to compute conversion, as in this question, thing that can also be done as a function in the Data Source Editor from Data Studio), after I had this sheet with the header rows and the values, I imported it in Google Data Studio, and used the numbers for scorecards and Time Filters. Smiley Very Happy

If you found this overkill, please up-vote my feature request: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63658612

Thanks,
Eek