AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Counting Pageviews Conditionally

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a custom dimension called 'PageType'. PageType can have 3 values, say 'A', 'B' and 'C'. Each of these values represents a different page on my site.

I want to create a custom metric called 'A Count' that gives me a count of Pageviews when 'PageType' = 'A'. I'd create a custom variable for each PageType which would then allow me to calculate against these custom variables.

Thanks for any assistance.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not tried the solution, but I remember seeing a similar question before I think the solution is something like SUM(CASE WHEN PageType= 'A' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Chun.

I've tried that. When I put that metric into a report with PageType, I just get a count of '1' where PageType = 'A'. Also, how do I ensure I'm counting Pageviews instead of say, Sessions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe you can paste the formula used as the formula here to see if there is any thing you missed.

As far as I can think of, it the formula used is SUM(CASE WHEN PageType= 'A' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)  the sum return should always be equal to the total no. of rows with PageType = 'A'.

As for your 2nd question, don't really get what your question is as Pageview and Session is 2 different count variable in GA, if you are counting Pageview in your formula, you would never be counting session. Did I missed something?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Here's a thread that describes what I'm looking for

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Calculated-Field-Percent-of-Total/td-p/719766

No solution offered there unfortunately.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running to similar problem, any fixes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did anyone succeed by trying "metric * MAX(CASE WHEN condition THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)" as described here: https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/7359285?hl=en&ref_topic=7570421