AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Copying an existing Data Studio report for a new GA property

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have created a set of Data Studio reports for one GA property.

I am happy with the layout and above all with the data that is being featured in these reports. I'd like to use these reports to point at a new GA property. However, when I copy and paste the reports and update the existing GA property to the new one, the original reports also end up pointing at the new property.

Has anybody experienced this as well?

Thank you

Penelope

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

When you say "copy and paste the reports" are you referring to copying the graphs/charts within 1 single Data Studio report?  Or are you duplicating the entire Data Studio report and creating a separate file entirely?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike

I am duplicating the entire report and creating a new dashboard file and new link. I then edit my data source to point at my new property, it updates fine but also updates the original dashboard which I want to leave as is...

Thank you!

Penelope 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Have you tried swapping out the datasource when you duplicate the file?  It should be the very first thing it asks you when you click on the duplicate button.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

So, I did not have that option pop up before but I have just had another go and there it was. However, although the original reports did not update this time with the new data source (which is good) only a few charts on the new reports updated with the correct new GA property! 

Odd, isn't it!?

Thanks

Penelope

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have experienced this as well. I'll make a copy of my report and if I change my new report, it updates my old report as well. Any solutions from the community?