Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris M
May 2017

Converting a date to the correct format in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@jrosell

OK. Fixed it. I just changed the field name to "Date", reformatted in standard UK DD/MM/YYYY (format doesn't really seem to make a difference), and reconnected the data source. Then accepted the changed field name and removed the reference to the invalid dimension in the report. I don't really know why that worked but it did.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Chris. Can you give us more information?

What's the data source? What's the current date format in the original data source? Where do you want to use that date?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jrosell.

Sorry about that - thought I'd cancelled the post. The data source is an excel table in Google Sheets. The date format in the sheet  is YYYYMMDD (I've also tried YYYY/MM/DD and it doesn't seem to make any difference). I have the field configured as a Date Range Dimension and the Type has the format YYYYMMDD. All other data seems to work ok but when I create a table of the records the date field appears as just "2017" and when I try to use the date picker I get a configuration error message. It seems that the "2017" shows that the report recognises a date but the broken date picker and configuration errors suggest that maybe it's only recognising the year and not the months and days. Any ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @jrosell

I just tried "This Year" and I still have that configuration error so it seems the whole of 2017 doesn't work either.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris M
May 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@jrosell

OK. Fixed it. I just changed the field name to "Date", reformatted in standard UK DD/MM/YYYY (format doesn't really seem to make a difference), and reconnected the data source. Then accepted the changed field name and removed the reference to the invalid dimension in the report. I don't really know why that worked but it did.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Chris. I see that if you use YYYYMMDD and you try to use date format (instead of automatic( you really get YYYYMDD in some places.

You can try to use YYYYY-MM-DD. 

http://i.imgur.com/a35eo0K.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That worked for me too! THX