AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Converting a date to the correct format in Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone had an issue with the data formats in a Data Studio source sheet? I am having a recurring issue with date formats in a Google sheet that I am using as a data source. I have tried formatting the dates in various formats including plain text and automatic to no avail. Oddly I do not have this problem with another sheet I am using as a source. I don't know if the issue is within the Data Studio report or the Google Sheet. I am hoping that someone else may have experienced this and has a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clare H
May 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found that DS would not recognise a field as a date field unless every entry in the Google Sheet had a date in it. If there were any blanks then it recognised it as a text or number type field. Try replacing all blanks with a default date. 

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Clare H

Can you show how your date is displayed in a table chart of Data Studio?

Something that you can try to change the date format : 

Select a chart, in the tab "data" on the right, click "edit" near the name of your data source. 

You will have a windows with all your fields. 

Near to your field date, you can change the "type". Try the different format YYYYMMDD, ...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clare H
May 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found that DS would not recognise a field as a date field unless every entry in the Google Sheet had a date in it. If there were any blanks then it recognised it as a text or number type field. Try replacing all blanks with a default date. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I ran into problems with dates when I first started using DS too. What I settled on is what Patrick metioned - YYYYMMDD. As long as you then go into the edit function on your dataset and make sure the date is set to recognize YYYYMMDD, then that should work. I usually get an error that DS doesn't recognize it as the right format, but it still seems to accept it regardless.

Re: Converting a date to the correct format in Data Studio

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Clare H

If it can help you, this is how my date is formated and what i have in Data Studio. 

Format_date.PNG

When you change type of format in the field in Data studio, it will update your table, so you can see what you will have by choising a format different than YYYYMMDD. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was the solution. Thanks Matthew.