Data Studio
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Converting Dimensions to Metrics in Data Studio?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all

Using Google Analytics data I have a table that looks at mobile sessions by country. I want to add to that table the split of sessions that come from iOS vs. Android as separate columns. This seems like a pretty straightforward task but I can't find a way at all.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Aaron

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Aaron, 

This thread should provide some insight into this which ties back to the limitation of the CASE function: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio-Reports/Calculated-Field-Conditional-Count-ign...

For your fix here, you can set up a custom metric in Google Analytics.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Lindsey - do custom metrics get imported to Datastudio? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you just need to add the Operating system dimension to your table. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks but that will split the rows by the dimensions rather than add columns. Plus, it won't give % split.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

In that case, you may need to create two tables, one with a filter for iOS and another for Android. Alternatively, you could add a drop down filter to allow the user to drill down manually, or you cold use a bar chart instead of a table.

I don't think we can currently split columns in a table by dimensions though. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What you can do to circumvent some of the limitations of Data Studio, is to set up a Google Sheet and use the GA add-on to import data to that sheet (which can be set to run every night, for example).

Then, since the GA add-on erases the whole sheet where the data ends up, set up another sheet tab which references the columns in the data sheet. Now, you have the possibility to use all the functions in the spreadsheet to do whatever computations you want

Finally, set this sheet up as a Data Source replacing the direct connection to GA.