Data Studio
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Consistent colors of categories: how to make sure colors don't change as data changes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For consistent reporting, consistent coloring is important. I have two categories (new business and existing business). Now, at the start of 2017. We have more "New business". The result: ordering of the bar changes and thus the color of the categories. 

Is there a workaround to make sure a category continues to have the same color? 

DW_Sales_dashboard.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Consistent colors of categories: how to make sure colors don't change as data changes?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sorry no, the colors are meant to be used in the order in which items appear in a list.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

on a side note: no one should ever have to complain when getting more new business Smiley Very Happy

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Haha, you are completely right about that last part. 

Is it possible to have a standard ordering in a list, so that colors remain the same? Thus sorting the stacked bar based on name of the category.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You can set colors for entry #1, #2, #3 etc for a given graph but thats as far as you can go.

In Style, uncheck "Single color" and click the color boxes underneath to select the colors you want.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, that's what I found so far. I already changed these colors. Too bad I can't change the ordering within a bar. Would be nice for consistent reporting Smiley Happy