AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Consistent colors of categories: how to make sure colors don't change as data changes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For consistent reporting, consistent coloring is important. I have two categories (new business and existing business). Now, at the start of 2017. We have more "New business". The result: ordering of the bar changes and thus the color of the categories. 

Is there a workaround to make sure a category continues to have the same color? 

DW_Sales_dashboard.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Consistent colors of categories: how to make sure colors don't change as data changes?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sorry no, the colors are meant to be used in the order in which items appear in a list.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

on a side note: no one should ever have to complain when getting more new business Smiley Very Happy

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Haha, you are completely right about that last part. 

Is it possible to have a standard ordering in a list, so that colors remain the same? Thus sorting the stacked bar based on name of the category.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You can set colors for entry #1, #2, #3 etc for a given graph but thats as far as you can go.

In Style, uncheck "Single color" and click the color boxes underneath to select the colors you want.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, that's what I found so far. I already changed these colors. Too bad I can't change the ordering within a bar. Would be nice for consistent reporting Smiley Happy