2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Connecting Page-Specific Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a large state agency and manage the web strategy for a handful of pages on our very large site. I would love to be able to connect the Google Analytics for those specific pages to some Data Studio reports, but I am not able to figure out how to do that. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Connecting Page-Specific Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You can only add a specific view as a data source, not a subset of pages. Depending on what you want to do exactly I think there's a couple of options.

1. Connect the view which contains the pages you want. Create the graphs/scorecards you need and then apply a page filter. If you know regex then use that to select the group of pages you want. If you don't then just play around with the equal to/contains/starts with until you get what you need.

To make sure you are getting only the pages you need start by creating a table with page as medium and something like pageviews as a metric. When you apply the filter you can see if you have the pages you want. You can then use the same rules to apply filters to graphs/scorecards.

Tip: if you are creating multiple graphs or multiuple scorecards then add the filter to one of them and copy and paste the graph/scorecard and the filter will copy across. You just need to change your dimension/metric then.

2. Another option - handy if you have a pre defined dashboard - would be to use a filter. Add a filter to your report and select page as the medium. You can then only select the pages you want and the whole page will change to reflect that.

3. In GA itself - in the view containing the pages - create a content group for them. This will then be available in DS as a dimension, again, you can use a filter to select only that group of pages. If you create a content group though it doesn't apply retrospectively - only from when you create it.

I'd suggest creating content groups anyway for your pages - as a minimum. Ideally create a separate view for them.