AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Connect to data sources dynamically

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,

I am building custom report for an organisation.

While development I will be connecting to sample data sources.

But as soon as the reports are ready I want to deploy them into live/production environment.

So how can I connect to live data sources dynamically without having to change it manually in the reports ?

Is there any API available to interact with data studio ?

Thanks & Regards,

Arbaz Pathan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there, 

SQL server data source is not available yet. 

See other related topic:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Data-Studio/Hey-guys-I-know-Data-Studio-connects-to-MySQL-...

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien,

I am aware of this , suppose for e.g. my data source is bigquery . So while developing I connected to bigquery development database. But after testing I want to switch the connection to my bigquery live database. Switch without having to manually change it from within the report.

Thanks & Regards,

Arbaz Pathan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

That won't work, you'll need to change the data source for the widget

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

if you want to go that route, you're better off populating a Google Sheet with your SQL/BQ connector and use that as a datasource in DS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In my opinion, this is still going to be a problem in case there are several users accessing your app and DS only look for one constant google sheet as data source.