2.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Connect Marketo with Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to the community, but I believe Data Studio can be my one stop shop for data analytics, at least at a high level. I'm trying to run some tests out of the GA scope, with our marketing automation platform, Marketo, to understand if I can generate reports on Data Studio. Did anyone do that before? What kind of connection (data source type) is Marketo?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no direct connection with Marketo from Data Studio. My current setup is to automate everything in Google Sheets then use that as the Data Source. You can create Custom Dimensions within DS, but it's much easier to do that from Sheets with your Marketo data.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What do you do to pull the data from Marketo into Sheets? Currently, I'm doing a manual download once a month, but I'd love to automate it. For other sites, I'm using Supermetrics, but there's no Marketo plug-in for that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, I do the same. I have a master sheet that I copy all my weekly and quarterly sheets into. Takes no longer than 5-10 minutes a week, but it is a manual process at the end of that day.
What other sites are you referring to?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Facebook, Google Analytics, Instagram, SEMRush (though I don't have the subscription level that allows API), etc. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

I see 3 options for you. 

1) As Litmon said, maybe use a Google Sheet add-on like Supermetrics, AdStage or BlockSpring (if you find one with a Marketo connector). 

2) As others suggested, do manual updates to your Google Sheet.

3) Use a connector for Marketo to BigQuery. Then connect BQ to DS. 

Re: Connect Marketo with Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use Supermetrics's Google Sheets add-on. There is no dedicated connector to Marketo but you can use the 'Custom JSON/CSV' connector to send a request to your marketo identity endpoint URL with your client key and client secret to create an access token.

http://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/authentication/#creating_an_access_token

This Access Token will be stored in a Google Sheets - say B3 (as it is in my case)

What you then want to do is create a query for the data you want (lists, leads, etc.) somewhere else in the sheets. Again, choose the 'Custom JSON/CSV' query-type and paste the endpoint URL for your request with the access token appended in a query-parameter. Like so:

[Marketo REST URL]+/rest/v1/leads.json+&access_token=[your created access token - B3]

Now, you can go to the 'Manage Queries' in the top menu in Supermetrics. This will open a new tab with all your queries (in this case two). As access tokens expire, you need to change the value for access_token to refer to the cell, your token is located at:

marketo connector.jpg