2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Compare to same period last month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm creating some data dashboards and I'd like to compare things like revenue from Analytics for this month so far, compared to the same period last month.

I can get this month so far by choosing the period 'This month' but if I compare to the previous period it's comparing the first x days of this month to the whole of last month, which is not a fair comparison.

EG on the 1st of the month it's comparing 1 day's revenue to the 30 days revenue of last month.

Any idea if it's possible to compare to the same period last month/year?

Thanks in advance.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you select "previous year" in the date comparison option, it will compare to the same dates last year. I don't know that there's a way to compare to the same dates last month (since previous period is just the same length of time before your selected time).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately not. When looking at a figure for 'This year' when I compare to 'Previous Period' or 'Previous Year' it compares against 'Last Year' and therefore all of last year. Same figure on both settings.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you have a date range filter? When I have a date filter applied to the chart and I compare it to last year, it does actually compare the same dates rather than the whole last year. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah right, yes in that case it might. I am just using the dynamic 'this month'/'this year' ranges so that they update automatically.

I'm coming from Geckoboard where it does this and it's pretty handy for comparison metrics so that you're comparing like for like.