AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Compare to same period last month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm creating some data dashboards and I'd like to compare things like revenue from Analytics for this month so far, compared to the same period last month.

I can get this month so far by choosing the period 'This month' but if I compare to the previous period it's comparing the first x days of this month to the whole of last month, which is not a fair comparison.

EG on the 1st of the month it's comparing 1 day's revenue to the 30 days revenue of last month.

Any idea if it's possible to compare to the same period last month/year?

Thanks in advance.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you select "previous year" in the date comparison option, it will compare to the same dates last year. I don't know that there's a way to compare to the same dates last month (since previous period is just the same length of time before your selected time).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately not. When looking at a figure for 'This year' when I compare to 'Previous Period' or 'Previous Year' it compares against 'Last Year' and therefore all of last year. Same figure on both settings.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you have a date range filter? When I have a date filter applied to the chart and I compare it to last year, it does actually compare the same dates rather than the whole last year. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah right, yes in that case it might. I am just using the dynamic 'this month'/'this year' ranges so that they update automatically.

I'm coming from Geckoboard where it does this and it's pretty handy for comparison metrics so that you're comparing like for like.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆