AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Combining data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have noticed that at this time it is not possible to combine various datasources in Data studio. If however the sources have been combined before linking them as a datasource it should see all the datasources as a single datasource, allowing me to use them simultaneously.

That is what my question is about. I would like to combine the following sources:

• Google Analytics
  • Google Adwords
  • Bing Adwords
  • Facebook Ads 

I have found two possible solutions.

The first one would be using a tool or scripts to integrate the 3 Adsources into Google Analytics and then link Analytics to Data Studio. My questions here are: how advanced is the required knowledge for setting up these scripts and do tools exist that are capable of performing this task for me without scripting?

The other solution would be that a new database needs to be build that integrates the data from all before mentioned sources and also Analytics itself. For this case I have the same questions. How advanced are the scripts that would perform this task and do tools exist that are capable of performing this task for me without scripting?

Kind regards,

Arthur

1 Expert replyverified_user

Combining data sources

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Arthur P,

I think your route is much more complex and with too many areas for errors. Of course, if you are adventurous and with plenty of time, you very well may find success. 

May I suggest you get a free trial of Google's BigQuery, which is a very powerful platform that is designed to be a data source for Data Studio? This product is fast & super strong and can handle all you can throw at it... and more.

Kind Regards,

James

Combining data sources

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Supermetrics, a Google Sheets add-on wrote a good blog on how to do this using their add-on and Data Studio.

http://supermetrics.com/blog/#!google-data-studio-360-facebook-bing-twitter

Supermetrics also has a tool for automating cost data uploads in Analytics.

I would also recommend checking out Analytics Canvas. They have a desktop app similar to supermetrics with the ability to query multiple ad channels, but it has a drag and drop interface that lets you join data, clean it up, and export it to external sources like Google Analytics, Sheets or Bigquery.

Good luck, it's tough but not impossible!

Combining data sources

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After looking at the options offered and a bit of extra research I came across what I believe to be the best solution to this issue for us.

We will be importing Google Adwords through the automated API of Google Analytics. For Bing and Facebook we will be using OWOX BI, a program that allows us to export cost data(campaign name, keyword name, impressions, costs and clicks) of Bing and Facebook in an automated manner. This will combine the data early enough to be combined within Google Data Studio.

Even though we are taking quite a different route to the suggestions, I still want to thank Ad A and J Clemens for their suggestions, as it gave the inspiration necessary to find the solution.

Kind regards,

Arthur

Old message:

I appreciate the answers. I'll go look at your suggestions and let you know what the outcome was. Thanks for the quick reply.

Kind regards,

Arthur

Re: Combining data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arthur,

Did this work? kevola.sullivan@gmail.com. I need to do the same thing. Thanks.

Re: Combining data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If i remember correctly at the time there were some issues with names of
campaigns, causing data to stay unlinked. That said, It's been nearly two
years and owox has probably fixed this iasue. Good luck