5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Combining data sources

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When using Google's Data Studio, how do I combine data from two different data sources like the UNION in SQL?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Re: Combining data sources

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
JOIN, UNION, etc are not currently supported in Data Studio data sources. To show the joined data in a single visualization, you'd need to do the join to create a new data set, then create a data source based on that.

Hope this helps.

Combining data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are there plans for joins and unions to be added?  It'd be very helpful in instances where we want to connect with multiple separate datasources (e.g. MySQL server joined to Google Analytics on the page url to show website traffic along with page metadata)

Combining data sources

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Completely understand. Yes, we are working supporting this. Stay tuned!

Rick

Combining data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Understand that separate data sources can't be joined (i.e. inner join on a date dimension).

However, is there a way to create a calculated custom metric that goes across two different data sources in Google Data Studio?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Combining data sources

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hey Matt,

Not yet. Once we have joins and/or unions in data sources, formulae should
be able to access those other data sets in the way you want. Definitely a
much requested feature. At the moment, the solution would be to combine the
data sets, if possible, and create a data source from that unified data set.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Combining data sources

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That is the single most important shortfall currently for us. Having the capability to join multiple data sources would be a small step for Gooogle, but "a giant leap for mankind" any ETA on this functionality? 

Combining data sources

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I totally agree, would love to see the option to use multiple data sources within one Data Studio component.

Combining data sources

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently able to join multiple Bigquery tables in Data Studio with a custom query unless the tables are federated Google Sheets tabled. DOps anyone know if there a fix or a workaround for querying federated Bigquery tables in DS? Even querying a single federated table will return a server error but I can query other types of tables without issue, so it seems like the federated table type is the main culprit, not the joining part. 

To the original poster and others looking to join data sources, if you can upload your data into Bigquery using anything other than Google Sheets, you can join those tables in Data Studio with a custom query.

Combining data sources

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

Do you know roughly when the join option may come into existence (like end of year or more like mid-2017)?  At our company we use the Google's G-suite but we are increasingly going down the Power BI path because currently they have the most mature product.  Joining data sets would be a requirement for us.

It be great if we could stick within the Google platform for analysis tools, but the decision window is closing fast...

Thanks!